As a gym or fitness studio owner, you likely have a goal-focused mindset. Whether you’re training clients to compete in a marathon, helping them lose weight, or helping them increase their fitness ability, your day-to-day work involves goal-setting of many types.
On the business side, one of your main goals should be growing your membership revenue. The more people who walk through your doors, the more money you’re bringing in month to month.
An effective way to increase your gym’s members is through social media marketing on Facebook and Instagram. With 71 percent of American adults using Facebook and 1 billion people using Instagram every month, they’re channels you shouldn’t overlook when building your online marketing strategy.
In this guide, we’ll give you tips and tricks on how to market your gym on Facebook and Instagram.
Videos see 49 percent higher interactions than image posts on Instagram, so make sure to incorporate them into your social media strategy. Luckily, gyms and fitness studios typically have great atmospheres that help to create high-quality, click-worthy content. Here are a few video ideas to get you started:
- Take videos of group fitness classes to give new followers an idea of what to expect at their first class.
- Promote your community. Do you host special happy hours, get-togethers, or themed classes? Promote what makes your community unique both in and out of the gym to let potential clients see what you’re all about.
- Demo a common movement you see in your gym and demonstrate how to use proper form.
- Do a quick gym tour to show the different sections of your gym that your members can enjoy.
- Highlight a piece of new equipment, and teach followers how to use it.
- Interview trainers so that your followers can get to know their personality and training styles.
- Shoot a quick workout routine that people can do from home, and share it on your social channels.
Try A Contest
Contests are a great way to build buzz and increase your online following. You can raffle off whatever makes sense for your unique gym — maybe a free week, month-long membership, class pack, or a personal training session.
Here’s a quick break-down of how to run an Instagram contest for a gym:
- Create a post: Create a post that details the contest guidelines, what the contest is for, what the prize is, and how to enter. Our favorite trick is requiring people to tag a friend in the post’s comments to enter — this can increase your followers and get more eyes on your posts. Be sure you follow Instagram’s promotion guidelines and any other legal guidelines for your business.
- Promote the post on your story: After you’ve posted the initial content guidelines to your Instagram feed, mention the contest in your story. Sixty-two percent of people say they have become more interested in a brand or product after seeing it in Stories, and promoting your contest on your story is a great way to reach more followers.
- Watch the new followers roll in: Throughout the contest, take note of how many new followers your profile receives, and make sure you’re posting other non-contest-related content to engage your new followers!
- Pick a winner and close out the contest: After you choose the winner, make sure to edit the post to make it clear that the contest has closed. That way, you won’t mislead anyone who stumbles across your post after the contest is over.
Create Paid Campaigns
Instagram and Facebook’s advertising platforms have powerful targeting tools that you can use to promote your gym to a highly relevant audience. You can target based on location, demographics, interests, and more.
For example, if you’re a yoga studio in Denver, you could target people in Denver who are interested in yoga, and set your demographic targeting to closely match your existing clientele. Facebook’s large collection of user insights allows you to fine-tune paid ads to show to people who are interested in your kind of gym or studio.
After you have your target audience, figure out the offer you’ll feature on your ad. A free week offer can be effective and allows potential clients to get a feel for your studio before they commit. Chances are, once they walk in the door and experience your studio and energetic instructors, they’ll be excited to come back for more! Other offers could include discounted passes for first-time visitors or a special price on their first month of membership.
Start Promoting Your Gym on Social Media Today!
At Marketing 360®, we offer social media marketing for gyms, studios, and fitness trainers who want to grow their client list. Learn more about how we can engage your followers and grow your business with targeted ads on all the primary social channels. Give us a call today!