Promotion extensions are the fastest way to get your Black Friday deals in front of online shoppers. Here’s a quick tutorial.
What Are Promotion Extensions?
Promotion extensions highlight the details of your sales and promotions on Google Ads. They appear below your main ad copy in an eyecatching, easy to read format.
You select an event (like Black Friday sale), which appears in bold above the promotion. The extension displays two lines that stand out from the rest of your ad. The extension link clicks through to a landing page for the promotion.
Promotion extensions are available at certain times of year around the time of the event. For example, Black Friday/Cyber Monday extensions can run from October 15 to December 15. Here is a list of promotion events.
What Information Can I Include?
The event will autofill on the ad. From there, you choose if you want a monetary or percentage discount. You enter the name of the product or service and a URL for the landing page. Last, include dates the promotion is valid (optional). Here’s how ads display:
Here are the setup steps:
- Sign in to your Google Ads account.
- Go to the Ad & extensions page menu and click Extensions along the top.
- Click on the plus button and select Promotion extension.
- Choose to add the promotion extension to your account, campaign, or ad group.
- Select the occasion for your promotion (optional). The name of the occasion appears in your ad extension. The dates for each occasion is when your extension may be eligible to show. To narrow this date range, use the Advanced options. Note: Promotion extensions for occasions with the same ad group, campaign, or account will be preferred over non-occasion promotion extensions.
- Select the language and currency of your promotion.
- Choose to show a monetary or percentage discount as your Promotion type.
- Enter the Item’s name of the product or service you’re offering.
- Enter the Final URL that will show in your ad.
- Select the type of Offer and enter any requirements for your promotion, such as a special code or spending limit.
- In Promotion dates (optional), enter the dates you would like to show on your ad.
Tips For Black Friday Ad Extensions
While you can start running Black Friday ads as early as October 15, the overwhelming spike in traffic happens over that 5 day period between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday. Be sure to have the budget needed to be visible during the shopping crunch.
Carefully consider – and test – what promotion details earn you the highest click-through-rates and conversions. Compare yourself to the competition, and if you have data from previous years, use it.
You’ll also want to get on Google’s Black Friday Ad Units, which display at the top of SERPs when people do searches for specific Black Friday deals:
It’s not guaranteed you’ll show in these results, but you can participate by creating the promotion extensions then creating ad groups that target the relevant keyword groups.
Enjoy your turkey, then start watching your ads diligently. This is major shopping traffic you don’t want to miss, even if it results in sales later through retargeting and brand searches.
Here are more tips about preparing your eCommerce store for Black Friday.